Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Here comes the sun!



Yesterday I wrote an entry about my not so stellar day. If you read it you will remember that I chose seven things to do in three hours to help cheer myself up. The list contained the following activities:

7-Take a shower while listening to "What do the simple folks do" from Camelot. I will probably also listen to "Lusty month of May" because it is May after all!
5-wear something cute with a pair of white pants
4-light a candle at the dinner table
3-Drive to the store and buy flowers for the table with grocery money. Yeah. I'm gonna do it.
2-Stand outside and breathe fresh air for 1 minute
1-Drink a glass of water

I then promised to follow up on how those activities effected my day and if it actually worked to cheer me up. This is what happened.

"What do the simple folks doooooo? TO help them escape when they're bluuuuuuuue?" Julie Andrews and I sang our hearts out as I ran the water to my hot shower. Camelot is a sure fire pick me up, how can anyone listen to that fantastic music and not feel great!? I was determined to shift my thoughts and get myself in a better mood. I'd wallowed all day, and quite frankly, it was getting dull. 

After my shower I walked out to the family room to check on my three year old, who, when I'd started my shower was happily watching "Thomas the tank engine" and snacking on some orange slices. This scenario must have quickly changed once he realized I was no longer in the same room as he was, and he decided to explore the kitchen.

With undaunted determination he traversed the iron baby gate, maneuvered his way on top of the counter climbed over to the sink and found a marvelous waterfall. In celebration of his great discovery he thought it would be only fitting to take a swim, however the pool of a sink was not enough to satisfy his longing for a cool plunge. After all, traversing wild terrain in search of waterfalls is hard work. So with the ingenuity and cunning of a true explorer he pulled the adjustable faucet far out beyond the reach of the sink and over the counter's ledge. Then with a touch of his hand declared the kitchen floors become a great ocean. And so it was done.  

Scott was not permitted to swim. He was sent to his room, while I sopped up an ocean.

Determined to be happy, I continued down my list. Donning my favorite pair of white pants a beautiful peach shirt and threw a matching ribbon in my hair. Feeling very much like the embodiment of spring I thought it would be a grand time to take my sojourn to the grocery store and buy myself some flowers to help improve my mood. Scott, however, was still very angry, harboring deep resentment over the  swim in that great ocean I had denied him. I did not discover this until we reached our destination.

Upon stepping foot in the store such a thunder storm of rage emerged from this adorable little curly headed tot I was sure I'd be swept off in a tornado of toddler tantrum. I quickly realized this was no time to buy flowers and headed straight back out the door. I wrangled him into the car despite the flailing arms and kicking legs. However, getting the car door shut, keeping it shut while pulling out of our parking space, and staying seated in his car seat all proved to be very challenging to my son as he continued to scream and cry allllllllll the way home.

My white pants did not fair this experience well.

Once home again, I decided it would be a perfect time to take the one minute breath of fresh air. So Scotty was coerced into staying indoors while I stood outside the front door and inhaled oxygen. 

I might have taken more than one minute. 

When I walked back in the house Scotty was sitting on the floor looking very put out. I scooped him up and gave him a hug and suggested we have a snack. To which he very pleasantly requested an orange (My child eats LOTS of oranges) and while he gobbled down his orange I sipped on a glass of water. 

Now all that was left on my list was to light a candle over dinner with my husband. The moment I heard Josh's car door shut outside our front door,  I rushed out to greet him and spew the roller coaster of a day I'd had. 

But, I stopped short seeing in an instant that his day had been far, FAR worse than my own.

My list changed in a moment.

1-Give Josh a BIG hug
2-Rub Josh's feet
3-Let him take a nap
4-Get dinner on
5-Run to the store and buy ingredients for Josh's favorite dessert
6-Get Scotty to bed nice and early
7-Cuddle in front of the fireplace

I didn't light my candle that night over dinner, but the sun came out for both our rainy days. 

And I was so happy.

1 comment:

  1. I love the picture! And that you rolled with what the day brought you. As always, your descriptions are vivid and I love that! I can see Scotty venturing from room to room in his adventures! Have a great weekend!

    Happy ealy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...