Sunday, December 19, 2010

A green drink your toddler will love...



One of my passions as a domestic diva is health and nutrition, while I'm not always perfect at it I do my very best to keep good food in the house. However, sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed. There is SO much information out there about what to eat, what not to eat and why or why not to eat it that something as simple as a snack becomes a whirlwind of confusion. When my friends call me and tell me they want to change their lifestyle habits I always give the same advice "start with ONE thing."  Every little health tidbit I feel inspired to write about in this blog is going to be small, the type of change that can be your ONE thing. It is more important to take ONE small step in the right direction than to keep traveling down the wrong path because it is familiar. Today, I'm going to give you a simple recipe for a green drink you and your family will love. It is my go to pick me up drink when I need energy, a quick tummy filler, or when I want to feel like I'm doing something beneficial for my family's health. This is how to make a DELICIOUS green drink.




You will need:
Two or three leaves of organic kale
One ripe organic banana
Organic apple juice
3-4 ice-cubes
And a blender

First rinse your kale well  and then take the leafy parts off the stem and put them in the blender. Pour enough apple juice in your blender to cover the Kale leaves and blend until smooth. (This may take a little while depending on the type of blender you have). After the green is pretty blended add your banana and ice then blend again. You have just made yourself a delicious and nutritious green drink! While you're sipping on this amazingly tasty concoction you can read over this list of all the good things cruciferous vegetables do for your body and feel REALLY good about yourself. (Kale is a cruciferous vegetable, if you didn't know that it's okay I didn't either until just recently)


Cruciferous vegetables have;
lots of vitamin C
and Vitamin A,
 folate,
calcium,
 iron,
fiber and
phytochemicals - which
scientists are finding help
prevent several kinds of
cancer.
ALSO!
You just drank yours raw, which has the added benefit of being alkalizing to your body, and all of the nutrients and enzymes naturally occurring in the plant are maintained since they weren't heated. Also, because you blended it up, your body doesn't have to work as hard to digest the nutrients and they will be absorbed by your body much faster than if you'd had to chew it in a salad. Blend one of these up for breakfast, for a snack, for your hubby, for you kiddos and most importantly FOR YOU!

                                                                   Scotty says "YUM!"
                                                                  Here's to your health!
                                                                             DD

3 comments:

  1. thanks for posting this! i'm definitely going to try it. i need to take your advice- and change ONE thing first. i mean we eat okay, but i know we are could use some more veggies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Thank you for posting on my blog, I LOVE your blog! This is so cool! I hope you like the green drink, my husband and son just drink them up! This is a good way to get fresh veggies into your diet too, I always find that a little tricky (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll give this a try...I did a smoothie with spinach the other day and the kids liked it, but it was pretty heavy on the banana flavor. We'll have to give kale a shot too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...